2 months ago
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Surviving Gustav
Well, I guess that a week without power makes one appreciate the modern technologies available to us. To celebrate, I decided I better start our blog like I've been promising everyone!! Just bear with me, I'm not that technologically savvy!! That's Tristan's job. One week after Hurricane Gustav hit our home of Denham Springs, Louisiana, we finally have power restored. We managed to survive our first hurricane very well. I was so thankful that Tristan made it in from flying and evacuating workers in the Gulf to ride out the storm with me. Fortunately, our friends are living in Canada right now and allowed us, along with some buddies to camp out at their home (we weren't sure how our little apartment would fare...). I have to say that we have very little to complain about. After all, we ate very well out of our freezer (steaks, shrimp, pizza, chicken stir-fry) and had many fun, late nights playing Mexican Train, our latest addiction in the board game world. Our friend, Becky, had power restored to her apartment on Tuesday evening, so she has been so gracious in letting us shower, sleep and do laundry in her home. After seeing the massive damage in the surrounding neighborhoods and numerous houses with trees through them, we are thankful that we had no damage to our home or cars. The biggest inconvenience has been trying to keep our refrigerated foods cold with the shortages on ice at the few stores that have been open. Tristan and I finally ventured out on Wednesday and had to wait in line just to get into Wal-Mart. Then we had to get ice vouchers and drive around to the back of the store for them to load the ice into our car...we fully realize all of the things we take for granted! Pictures to be posted soon!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment