Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer Arrives in Washington

It has been kind of strange coming from Louisiana, where it felt like the middle of summer, to Washington, where summer hadn't even started yet! I was getting kind of worried until I realized that summer hadn't officially started yet. We had a few nice days, but still chilly enough to need a sweatshirt in the mornings, especially since Ethan spends so much time outside with his "Papa".

Grandpa and Ethan both share a love for popcorn, so Grandpa decided to pull out the popcorn popper and show him how to REALLY make popcorn!


Ethan loves to help with watering the plants in the yard every day. He even takes a little sip himself while he's at it! Nothing says summer like drinking straight from the hose.

The arrival of summer also brought the Kowallis family reunion (Tristan's mom's side of the family). We had a great time playing outside and spending time with family. It didn't feel like summer, but the weather wasn't bad.

Cousins playing in the sand box
This truck actually belonged to Tristan when he was little and Ethan played with it almost the whole time!
I can't get this picture to turn around, but it was just too good to not post it. When we left the reunion one day to come back for a nap, I handed Ethan a cookie. When we got home (about a 10 minute drive) this is how I found him in the back of the truck...I guess all the action from the reunion and all the playing with cousins wore him out!!
The last night of the reunion we had a luau to kick off summer. There were tons of fun activities for all the kids including this sawdust treasure hunt and minute to win it for the older kids.
In the last week or so the weather has really gotten nice. I find it funny that I have flip flop lines on my feet for the first time in years and I've been living in Louisiana where it's so hot for the last 4 years. It took coming home to Washington for a month to get the tan lines. We love the weather, and while others are sweating, we are enjoying it lots!!!

One morning when we were out playing in the backyard Ethan decided he wanted his lawn chairs up inside the tree fort part of the swing set. So Papa, of course, had to help him out!
Getting comfortable!

It has even been warm enough to pull out the slip and slide! I thought it was funny that he wanted to use the umbrella to go under the sprinkler part of the slip and slide!
Finally getting brave and getting wet!

We are having a great time ringing in summer!

No comments: